Simple but decadent salad that’s quick and easy to put together, but doesn’t skimp out on flavor. To pair, pick up a bottle of Sebastiani Sauvignon Blanc; the aromas on the nose are lemongrass and grapefruit, which go well with the citrus of the salad
- 1 pound Dungeness crab meat, picked through for shells
- 3 head frisee, dark green outer leaves trimmed, use only inner yellow leaves
- 10 kumquats, cut in rings, seeds removed
- 3 cara cara oranges, peeled and cut into segments
- 2 avocado, cut into large dice
- 2 cups beets (see recipe/ingredients below)
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons high quality olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Roasted Beets:
- 1 pound red beets, washed
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 bunch chives, minced
In large mixing bowl, add all ingredients. Gently toss with 2 spoons or large tongs. Serve chilled.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash beets and place in deep baking dish. Drizzle olive oil over the top and put water in with the beets. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and place in oven for 1 hour. Depending on size of beets, this should be enough time to cook them through. Insert sharp knife into beet; if there is no resistance, the beet is cooked. Remove the skins while warm, as they will come off much easier this way than if you let them cool. Cut in to medium dice, then dress with the vinegar and minced chives.
Pair with Sebastiani Sauvignon Blanc.