While all the ingredients are very good separately, they are superb when brought together. Almond cookies complement the sweet and tangy Meyer lemon flavor.
- Meyer Lemon Curd Ingredients
- 3 to 4 Meyer lemons (about 1 pound)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- Almond Cookies Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup 1/4 cup (about 1 ounce) rough chopped sliced almonds
- Meringue Ingredients
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 superfine granulated sugar
- Final Dessert Ingredients
- 1 cup of assorted seasonal berries
Meyer Lemon Curd Directions
Find a metal bowl that can fit inside a pot of simmering water (or use a bain-marie or double boiler). Finely grate zest from lemons and squeeze enough juice to measure 1/2 cup combined. In the metal bowl, combine the lemon mixture with the sugar, eggs and butter. Set bowl over the pot of simmering water and whisk continuously. Cook until the mixture is thickened and smooth and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F. This should take around 5 minutes. Set aside.
Almond Cookies Directions
Preheat oven to 400°F
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together the flour, melted butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a small bowl. Mix in almonds. Drop 2 level tablespoonfuls of batter onto prepared baking sheet, spacing 6 inches apart. Using moistened fingertips, press each to 2-inch round. Bake cookies until deep golden (cookies will spread to about 5-inch diameter) for about 7 minutes or until done. Let cool on sheet until set enough to lift without tearing, about 1 minute.
Beat the whites with cream of tartar and salt using an electric mixer at medium speed until they hold soft peaks. Increase speed to high and add superfine sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until meringue holds stiff, glossy peaks.
Place one almond cookie on plate top with a heaping tablespoon of lemon curd, and a tablespoon of fresh berries. Top with another cookie and repeat. Using a pastry bag, pipe the meringue on top. Caramelize the meringue using a kitchen torch.